Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ran Off and Got Married: The story of Melissa and Sean

So, I've had a couple of people mention wanting to know the back story of Sean and I "running off and getting married". Well, it's not a story I'm sure I want to tell my children, simply because I'm not sure I want them following in our footsteps, but it does make for an interesting story and kind of romantic too.

It all started in November of 2006. I was living and working in my hometown and just having gotten out of a two and half year relationship I wasn't looking for anything serious. I was dating a few different people and knew the relationships weren't going anywhere.

At this time I had an account on the ever-popular MySpace. I used it mainly to keep up with my friends. However, a guy started messaging me. He was in the Army and from the same hometown I was. I had never known him though because he was four years older than me and we had attended different high schools. I kept talking to him because unlike a lot of the messages I got from random people at that time, he wasn't hitting on me or sending any sort of raunchy messages. He seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. I kind of dismissed him at first. Sure I enjoyed talking to him and I knew he was different then anyone I was seeing at the time, but he was in Louisiana and I was in Oklahoma, seperated by over 9 hours so I really didn't see the point.

A couple of months went by and we were still talking through emails and by now I'd given him my phone number. We talked a few times and I was so nervous everytime we talked but really enjoyed our conversations. He would jokingly ask when I was going to marry him and I'd just laugh it off. I couldn't deny the feeling though that I knew this one was special. This guy was different then all the other men I'd been in relationships with, yet we weren't even really dating, how could we when we were so far apart?

There were several times when he would try to come home and visit me, but not having a car that was hard to do. Eventually we just planned to meet up on his block leave in June. That seemed a long time to wait, but the months went by and I by now as odd as it seemed I knew I was going to marry this man that I'd never met, just spent huge amounts of time on the phone with.

June came finally, I met him in Dallas and we drove back to our hometown, we spent 2 weeks together and in one of his last days there he asked me to marry him. We decided to run off to Texas and do it since active-duty didn't have to wait any days to have the ceremony once we applied for our marriage license. We broke the news to my parents the day the met Sean and of course they were less than happy. They didn't speak me to me for about a month and a half after that. It did seem crazy to everyone but us.

We got married in Gainesville, Texas on July 5th, 2007 by a Justice of the Peace. I planned on wearing a dress, but the JOP was running late so I didn't have time. It was just us in our causual wear. Our "honeymoon" was nothing special. We spent the night in Dallas and ate at a Grandy's. Very low-key and very low-budget! The next day Sean had to go back to Ft.Polk so our time together got cut short. We spent the next five months in seperate states since I had a work contract to finish before I could move to Louisiana with him. We did eventually have a bigger ceremony in December since we both decided that was something we really wanted to have, but we consider our anniversary to be in July.

I am by no means an impulsive person, I think everything through, I plan ahead, but I knew that this was something I had to do at that time and I've never regretted doing it. A lot of people thought we wouldn't last six months, but we knew this was forever and we love proving people wrong that doubted us. My parents eventually came around and I know they really love Sean. I don't tell this story to everyone because some people find it odd we met online and then got married without really even "dating", but it works for us and that's all that matters!

23 comments:

Lindsay Gray said...

Wow! What a great story!

As you can probably guess, I really believe that the foundation of a good relationship is a great friendship. *R* and I had a 4 month period of talking through emails and phone conversations before we ever got the chance to date too.

Don't be embarrassed! That's a great story, and love has come to people in a lot stranger situations than that.

Erin said...

I think that is an amazing story! I wish I had, had the guts to do that! My husband wanted us to have a JOP wedding after he graduated, but I refused and we waited the 6 months to our original date. But we always talk about how we should have done it!

Caitlin said...

Very unconventional, but very nice! :)

loqi said...

I was definitely interested in learning more when you mentioned that you "ran off and got married" but I didn't want to pry. I am totally crying, thank you for sharing your story, I love hearing stories like yours.

Jrzy Army Wife said...

That's a really great story. I've dated a few really great guys I met online before the hub and I got back together. I have a bunch of friends that met their hubbys online. I'm a believer it works! Good for you two.

the dragonfly said...

My husband and I were engaged five days after we started "dating"...our first date wasn't until several weeks later!

I think yours is a great story. :)

How do you like being an Army wife? I do. We're living in Germany right now..

Mrs. Mootz said...

What a great story! I think that if you know, you know. You don't need 5 years of dating before getting married.

tootie said...

This is such a romantic story! I love hearing how couples meet/get engaged.

You both seem really happy, so your gut instincts were right! :)

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness! Risky business. But at least it had a happy ending.

jlc said...

Wow!! Incredible story!!

The Kellys said...

I had never heard or read your story, but I think its great! I agreed to move to Colorado 4 months after meeting Tim so I know what it feels like when "its right." So happy to see you happy!

Beautifully Bella said...

ok so i just read your elopement story... and I have to say that is the cutest thing i have heard in a while. It makes me think that my long distance relationship with my army man will work out.

Jenn

*krystyn* said...

Wow - that's an awesome story!!

Jenny said...

I can't believe I've never read this post before! I think this is a great story and I think you both were courageous to follow your heart so completely. When you know, you just know. I don't think time spent together has all that much to do with it; I spent three years with one guy and no matter how much time I spent, he just wasn't the guy. I spent one night with Keith and I knew he was the one.

Fidgeting Gidget said...

That is such a great story....I knew right away with my man, too. We had one date and then we had to be apart for three months with nothing but talking on the phone, and the next time I saw him, I knew for sure. :)

Stephanie said...

That is an awesome story! I'm so happy for you guys :)

Mrs_A said...

I lovelovelove this. Funny thing is I did basically the same thing. I've been meaning to write our story too. I'm so glad i'm not the only person crazy enought to do something like this. :)

Mrs. A said...

That actually sounds similar to our story...we met online, we knew instantly that we would get married one day...but we were engaged for three years before we eloped at the JOP. We still haven't had our real wedding though. And my family still doesn't know we met online either!
When you know, you know.

[ker-AND-uh] said...

NO JOKE. This is almost EXACTLY how my husband and I got married. lol I LOVE success stories like this!

Sinead said...

That's the most inspirational and wonderful love story I ever heard. Someone should make it into a movie. It's really adorable and I'm glad you proved everyone wrong. I'm more glad that your parents finally came around because that was probably a very difficult month and a half especially since he was gone right? But you did it and you continue to defy conformity every day. Congrats.

Meg said...

Wow! I just ran across your blog, and this was exactly the story I needed to read. I met my active-duty fiance online, pretty much knew he was "the one" before ever seeing him in person, and now we're looking at a courthouse wedding within a few weeks. I can identify with family not being happy...but it's wonderfully reassuring to hear that lack of a big wedding (at least initially) hasn't dented your happiness. Congratulations, kudos, and Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

WOW, great story! My boyfriend and I have only known each other for a little over a month and when I go visit him in Tampa we plan to get married. Soon after that we will PCS to Italy! Your story is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

kimberly @ lush lounge said...

Awwwwwe!!!
I LOVE this!!
My Marine & I met on Myspace too haha but we haven't gotten married yet lol.