Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sweet Revenge

So, yesterday Sean picked me up from work, we get home, decide we are going straight to the gym to work out before dinner. Boomer is not happy with this. Even though Sean had been home with him for a couple of hours he wanted attention NOW! The fact we were leaving didn't sit well with him. When we got home I knew there would be something torn up as retalition on his part. Sure enough we get home from the gym, not even an hour later and he's clearly shown his displeasure with us. Bathroom trash torn up, my shoe box torn to shreds, my bedroom slippers drug out of the closet and wet from him chewing on them. The worst part was he somehow got the ornament that I was sending my friend off of my desk. Drug it out of the closed box, unwrapped the bubble wrap around it and proceeded to chew it up. Completely destroyed it. To say I was mad was an understatement. I was furious! He got several spankings and I made it well-known that I was not happy with him. He tried to make-up to me after that by coming to lay up by my neck and resting his head on my chest, he makes it very difficult to stay mad at him.

And to think Sean and I were considering last week whether to get another Min-Pin to be a companion for Boomer. Ha! No chance of that now! One naughty Min-Pin is enough! I cannot imagine two!



I was thinking this morning about books I read as a child and which ones were my favorite. One of my all time favorites was The Little House books. I really enjoyed all of them even though the books about Laura when she was younger were by far my favorite. This one was my very favorite.



My mom started off reading those books to me and by the time we got to that book I was reading ahead by myself, I know she was proud of me, but also a little sad I didn't need her to read to me anymore.

Here are some of my other favorites as a girl:

1. Nancy Drew
2. Trixie Belden
3. American Girl series
4. Little Women
5. Eight Cousins
6. I loved the abriged classics like Robinson Carusoe, Treasure Island, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
7. Island of Blue Dolphins
8. The Ramona series
9.Anne of Green Gables
10.Charlotte's Web

What were your favorites as a child?

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi,
I'm a Navy girlfriend and I just recently found your blog.
I loved reading Laura Ingles Wilder as a child too. But my absolute favorite books were the Nancy Drew books. My best friend and I had a contest about who could read the most of classic Nancy Drew books. We didn't like the modern paperback books. It only took me about a year, but I read all 56 of the original Nancy Drews!

d.a.r. said...

I was absolutely obsessed with the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. In fact, I really want to buy them all again, now that I am thinking about it!!! I really loved the books about her daughter, Rose, too. They came out when I was in middle school (I think...)

http://www.amazon.com/Little-House-Rocky-Ridge/dp/0064404781/ref=cm_lmf_tit_12_rsrsrs0

Ah, now you have me wanting to buy books again :)

Lindsay Gray said...

Laura Ingles Wilder and Anne of Green Gables were two of my favorites, As well as "The Little Gymnast" and "the Box Car kids".

Loved them!

Oh and I know how you feel with naughty dog. Roxie is schemes against me, I swear! She goes dumpster diving (knocking over the trash) and scrap hunting (jumping on top of the kitchen table) at least once a week!

kd said...

I loved "The Witch of Blackbird Pond", "Where the Red Fern Grows", "Alice in Wonderland", and I was obsessed with the Babysitters Club series!

loqi said...

To feed my horse obsession - the Black Stallion books.

Loved the whole set of Narnia books, read those multiple times.

Anne of Green Gables set was also good, and I definitely read the Little House books.

We had Little Gymnasts and Babysitters Club, but I only read those as a last resort. I would *fly* through books as a kid.

I also read all of the sports books by Matt Christopher in my school library. I was such a huge tomboy - I hated anything and everything girly.

Momily said...

We've also been considering getting another dog (possibly another beagle) to play with Daisy; our hope would be that having someone else to play with would give her exercise and keep her out of trouble to some extent. We haven't done so yet; I'm also a bit afraid that two would be twice as much destruction and vet bills, etc. I'm not sure I could handle more than one Daisy-dog.

Either way, whenever we go somewhere, Daisy goes in the back yard; even if it's only for a few minutes. Even if you live in an apartment and don't have a yard, it's a good idea to have a designated area that a destructive dog is gated into when there's nobody to watch them. When Daisy was a puppy (before we got our house), we gated her in the kitchen. It worked pretty well until she developed basketball-player-esque jumping skills. *rolls eyes*

But anyway, just a few thoughts on the naughty dog thing for you. :)

Katie said...

Oh thank you for these! I want to start reading some to my kids at night! I remember my mom reading Island of the Blue Dolphins to us and loving it... :)

Kasey said...

I loved the Little House on the Prairie books. My grandmother and I read them at the same time so we could discuss them. (yes, I was always a nerd, even as a child)

I still have the boxed set at my mom's house.


And I hate to admit this, but I was completely obsessed with The Babysitter's Club books when I was young, lol.

Linda said...

I loved the Bobbsey Twins books, My Friend Flicka, and there were a few other series I used to read regularly, but can't remember now (age does that to you). My daughter's favorites (as a 7 year old) are the Rainbow Fairies series and the Disney Fairy books...go figure!

Kristen said...

So is it weird that I never read any Laura Ingles Wilder books? I also never read the Babysitters Club or Nancy Drew. I don't remember what I read. I remember loving The Chronicles of Narnia and Mandy by Julie Andrews under her pen name Julie Edwards. I also LOVED the Ramona books!

The Mrs. said...

I love love love nancy drew! The original ones are by far the best. Timeless.

Erin said...

Hahaha doggies are too cute to stay mad at! Ours does the same thing. When she gets frustrated because she misses us she eats our shoes. It is soo annoying but I can never stay mad!

I love the flashback of books I read when I was a little girl. American Girls topped my list!! Sometimes I want to go back and read them again.

Anonymous said...

That list brings back some good memories! But I'd have to add the Babysitter's Club! I read those books like crazy.

Jrzy Army Wife said...

I agree with Nancy Drew.
Babysitters Club, Judy Blume, Lord of the Flies, Charlotte's Web, Pippy Longstocking. Then there was this random book called "The luck of Pokey Bloom" I read in like 6th grade or something. I couldn't tell you what it was about now, but I remember really liking it when I was 10,lol.

Same Girl said...

Aw, bad pup! I wouldnt be able to stay mad at that face for too long either!
Growing up I loved reading Nancy Drew books. But Island of the Blue Dolphins was one of my all time favorites. My Mom used to read Nathan and Nicholas Alexander to me as a child. Its about an Elephant and Mouse who become friends. Might explain why im elephant obsessed! :)

Megan said...

oh, and we even live in sd- and well, walnut grove is where my hubs grew up. we're pretty familiar with ms. laura around here...

Megan