Saturday, April 18, 2009

Miss Independent

For most of my life I've prided myself on my independent nature. This especially came into play when I entered the dating world and didn't need a guy to hang around every minute to make myself feel good.

I think for the first time in my life I'm actually kind of scared to be independent.

As you know Sean is in Germany for the next week and so it's just me...and Boomer.

I'm scared to go out into Vicenza by myself. Not too scared that I won't go ahead and make myself do it, but I have to admit the thought is kind of intimidating.

My plan for Saturday is to ride the bus downtown and find the wine shop that we got our loose wine at last time and fill up a couple of bottles. Easier said than done I'm sure. Last time I think we luckily got lost enough that we found the shop and I'm not sure I have the skill to do that again!

Other than the wine my plan is just to sort of soak in being Italian. Maybe step into a cafe for the delish hot chocolate. (Is it any wonder I can't lose those pesky 10 lbs?!)

I know getting out without Sean is imperative. I didn't have a problem doing that in Louisiana. I gladly went out and about there, visiting other cities and what not. I think it's just the foreign country element that is throwing me. Like I said though, he's going to be gone a year, so it's something I need to get used to.

Oh..and can I tell you my embarrassing moment from yesterday? I took Boomer to post so I could do some errands and he could get some exercise. We were walking in front of the post office, carrying some packages I picked up and he picks that exact moment to poop! Right on the sidewalk in front of the post office. I wanted to melt into the ground, I was so embarrassed. Luckily I brought a bag in case of such an incident. Unluckily I got tangled in his leash and stepped in some of the poo.

I got my new lenses yesterday! That's why I love Beachcamera so much, they are so fast at delivering things. It hasn't even been a week and I've already got them. I practiced with them as soon as I got home and they are amazing. Expect lots of photos of unsuspecting people with my new telephoto lens. Kind of makes me feel like a paparazzi!

Have a fab weekend!

15 comments:

Honey said...

you'll have a great time getting out. i don't do it near as much as i should, but it is fun. just try not to be out at dark and in dark alleys, hehe.

Unknown said...

aaagh annie always picks the worst times to poop! never when we're alone by the grass, she has to wait until we're in view of as many spectators as possible! i don't understand. and i hate picking it up, and worse, stepping in it! haha, i feel sad for you!

Mary Teresa said...

I enjoy getting out by myself in Germany now that I've figured out that I'm not going to do anything horribly offensive. It's fun and even when my little German knowledge fails me, general politeness and mimicry have always come through. =D Enjoy your independence in a foreign country. It's empowering.

Walker pooped int he middle of an intersection in Berlin. Cars had to stop. It was awkward. Gotta love our dogs!

Meg said...

I understand your hesitation getting out in a foreign country! It's just not quite the same as anywhere in the US.

Sondre Lyn said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I am so anxious trying to find my way in general (I have ZERO sense of direction and get lost so easily!)... but in a foreign country... ugh! But I am glad you are going for it anyway! I never want to be the kind of person who chains themself to a base! No fun!

And it just cracks me up where a dog will decide to "go." I think anyone with a dog has had that experience. At least you were prepared! :D

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I think you're still an independent and brave woman. The whole being in a foreign country add's a different level to it though. Speaking a different language can also add some fear.

I'm sure you'll be fine exploring this weekend just be careful!!!!

tootie said...

That's good that you're exploring! I think you'll do great on your own, and pretty soon, you won't even think twice about going! (If you take any pictures, I'd love to see them on your blog!)

Jessie said...

don't be nervous, it wont be long before you're constantly out and about :)

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

It took me awhile to get out alone too. At first I would just walk around, then after a few times I would go in places, then finally I would go in places and actually speak to people. One step at a time :)

hmb said...

Pshh I don't even want to go out alone in Watertown once we get to NY. Hahahaha

Angie said...

Go out and explore!!!! Actually my family owns a jewelry store here in St. Louis and we carry a line called Chimento. It's really pretty. And I'm pretty sure they are located in Vicenza if you wanna go visit them. Maybe they'll give you some free jewelry ha!

Jenny said...

I think that's a great plan, to go and get some wine and come back. I so empathize with you, I took things step by step like that as well.

I remember vividly looking at a year and thinking one, that I couldn't even imagine that span of time and two that it would take forever to get through and I thought of all the things that could go wrong, because I'd heard all the stories, of course.

And stuff did go wrong, but the marvelous thing was that I was always, someone or other, sooner or later, able to fix them. And time went by and the year began to melt away.

It is true, looking at the deploment is the worst. It's intensely emotional, painfully so, there's incredible pressure from all sides and just the horror of the unknown. But once it begins, all that stuff, amazingly, melts away and you will find your stride.

The next time I'm approaching a deployment, I'm going to deliberatly not think about it, pretend it is not happening, and cling to normal for as long as I can, right up until he leaves, if I can.

Anyway, that's my reply in part to your Big-D post! :)

Jon and Steph said...

I was the same exact way when we moved here! It took me several weeks maybe a month to finally get the nerve to venture out more than just walking to the downtown area. I know how you feel. I was VERY independent! I grew up with a mother who was a single mom, and she engraved in my head that I didn't need a man. Now that I am with Jon, I do feel a little less independent! Probably because we both rely on each other. Hopefully this next week goes by fast for you and he will be home in no time.

lola said...

I hope you have a blast exploring! I've been kind of the same way here in DC -- only venturing to where I know, but I've realized how much I miss out on when I get to be "touristy" with friends. I also feel like I gain a much better working knowledge of where things are when I get out to explore!

My sister-in-law is in town and she bought me a telephoto lens for my dSLR! We'll definitely have to compare notes on shooting tips and whatnot! I think mine is a 55-200mm lens?

The Adventures of Maverick & the Mrs. said...

That made me laugh out loud! Your blog is fabulous!