Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday Tidbits

I'll preface this post by saying I'm still sick and feel like mold. What does mold feel like you ask? Icky..like I feel right now.

I tried to make myself feel better today by finally making a Green Monster, as seen on Megan's blog. The commissary is carrying spinach again and the is the first time I've been able to make it. Can I just say it's delish? I'll be making it a regular part of my day from now on.

Right now it feels like EVERYTHING is under construction here in Italy. Every single possible route to our house/post has some sort of construction on it. I probably spent an hour yesterday dropping Sean off at home and then attempting to get back to work. I don't know where all this construction came from! One day it's construction free and the next day it's everywhere. Maybe October is construction month here in Italy, I honestly don't know.

Lastly, I want an opinion on Photoshopped pictures from you girls. I'm a firm believer in Photoshop, whether it's just improving the contrast or boosting the saturation of the colors. Yes, at times I believe pictures can be too Photoshopped, but I try not to tweak mine to the extreme. I ask this question because I participate in a weekly photo contest on a forum for army wives and they've recently started a debate on if we can enter photoshopped pictures. Most of them are trying to say that Photoshopped pictures are not the "true" photograph, but I find that insulting to be honest. I feel like all my pictures I take are the true photograph, but simply made to be the best they can be. What are your thoughts? And feel free to disagree with me.


16 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

I think a little editing here and there is totally acceptable. Tweaking colors and fixing contrast is fine, but when the photoshopped photo becomes so altered that it doesn't even look like the original, that's when it becomes a problem.

Hope you feel better!

lola said...

ooohhh the green monster!! hahah. I have yet to try it. I'm a little scared to say the least :)

As for photoshop, I think little edits aren't bad. I don't know how to do much, and didn't realize how much could be changed until I saw some before and afters with different things you can do. I was shocked!

loqi said...

I think Photoshop is totally legit. The only reason I can see to exclude it would be to level the playing field for those who can't afford to buy it.

Amber said...

I love photoshopping pictures but I would never consider them to be true photography. I guess growing up and watching my dad use pure skill with the lens to capture a beautiful picture jaded me.

Becca said...

I was JUST saying, "What, is this construction month??" It's getting awful trying to try anywhere! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are repaving that part of Aldo Moro that was so bad, but what is with the repaving on all the streets around? And it seems like all they are doing is tearing up, not fixing!

I'm terrified to try the Green Monster.

Jessica said...

I have to know what this green monster is all about. Please enlighten me!
I have never used photoshop and don't know anything about it, but I would go with the rest and say a little editing couldn't do any harm. Even professional photographers are going to touch up their pictures first right?

Sara said...

That is insulting. Photoshop is a tough, not so user friendly program. And if someone knows how to use it, their genius photos can look even better. A good photographer can still be competetive though in my opinion. Sounds like someone just has their thong in a twist.

Sara said...

I should also add that I am NOT a photoshop user and think I could still compete with other people's photos just by virtue of getting a good shot. A good photo is a good photo.

Carissa said...

I think that's crap! If you shoot in RAW, you have to photoshop your pictures even if it's just to sharpen them. Besides, photography is an art, which means that you as the artist can do whatever you want with the pictures you take! It sounds to me like they don't know a whole lot about photography....

JG said...

That's stupid. It sounds like these women may not be very versed in photography, and think "Photoshopping" means doing outrageous "glamor shot" type effects. If you shoot in RAW, you HAVE to use at least color-correction software. Not to mention cropping, straitening - it's what completes the whole vision.

Windy City Kelley's said...

I hope you feel better soon! Everything is under construction here in Chicago too, it sucks.

Lisa said...

You know, I have mixed feelings on photoshop. My ex was a photog, and sometimes he'd do a little adjustment here or there to bring up the colors or add to the photo.

But I'm not a huge fan of a lot of photoshop work, although here and there it can be beautiful. How's that for an answer? Some is good, too much is too much? LOL

Feel better soon!!

Anonymous said...

Yess!! Glad you liked the green monster!! I think they're yummy too! And Oh-so-healthy!!

Lindsay Gray said...

I think a little photoshopping is fine. Tweaking here and there, adding Sepia tones for an effect, etc. But I also feel like people use photoshop as a crutch.

Personally, I would rather spend my time getting the shot as close as I can straight out of the camera, rather than spend 3 hours in front of my computer trying to edit all the photos. But that doesn't mean it isn't a "true" photograph. Just that your helping something "good" turn "better". It's a personal opinion, no right or wrong answer.

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I agree that some photos are photoshopped to the extreme. I feel like if you can tell it is photoshopped, it's too much. Like makeup :)

Dana said...

Just wanted to add that there's a great article in the September "Photo Issue" of Outside magazine on Photoshopped photography. It's titled "This Photo is Lying to You" by Rob Haggart. It's an interesting read...I can bring it by the USO if you want.