Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Few Opinions and Observations from Yours Truly

Currently we are in the holiday season and to be honest I wasn't sure what to expect when it came to Christmas in Italy. To say I'm surprised is an understatement. After Thanksgiving, more and more Christmas lights started appearing in our neighborhood and even Santa figures appeared outside clinging to balconies. Sean and I went downtown last weekend and the whole main part of Vicenza had lights strung across streets. It was gorgeous! I plan on taking pictures of all of this before I leave next week. The only thing I regret about not spending Christmas here is missing out on all the Christmas markets. Perhaps next year.

I picked up a book at the library yesterday. I love to read about other people's military experiences (hence why I love reading all your blogs out there) but this book was sort of a letdown.

It's called Standing By: The Making of an American Military Family in a Time of War by Alison Buckholtz.



Don't get me wrong, there were parts of the book that I enjoyed, but it wasn't something I'd read again or even recommend to someone. At first I couln't put my finger on why I didn't really like it. I thought perhaps it was because I couldn't identify as much with the family situation, because I didn't have children myself and didn't have to face a deployment alone with children, but I don't think that was it. In all honesty I felt like the book was a little repetitive and relied a little too much on passages and opinions from other military texts. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Oh...I put this on my Facebook last week, but I wanted to share it on here too. Let me say I'm not really a cat person, but I've watched this video like 10 times. I laugh hysterically every time!



Last, but not least I've rented a bunch of movies to help entertain and distract me this week and weekend. I picked up Night at the Museum 2, Julie and Julia and disc 1 of Season 4 of Weeds. Also my Christmas present from Sean came in yesterday. Can I just say how much I love Twilight Zone and I cannot wait to watch all.six.discs of it?


16 comments:

Allison said...

I saw that video a few days ago - SO stinking cute. And I'm definitely not a cat person...but oh my goodness :) hilarious :)

Christine said...

That video is so cute!

Jessica said...

Yes, please go take some pictures lady! I have a mental picture but I'm pretty sure it doesn't measure up in the least bit to the real thing.
That video cracks me up. Makes me want a little kitten actually!
You'll probably be coming in to Oklahoma just as I'm leaving. Enjoy your visit home!!

Mira said...

airing can help to prevent mold, but it's not gonna make existing mold go away. well, i will update you on our situation as soon as we get back from the states, i just hope mold will not overtake entire house. and you update me what's going on with your mold issue, if you find solution let me know ASAP
have a great trip and enjoy time in the states

J.L.S. said...

Scott and I saw that video on TV the other day and the first thing I said is that it made me want a kitten... and nothing makes me want a kitten. It is so stinkin' precious!

Susan said...

Try Miss Harper Can Do It by Jan Berentson. It's fiction, but it was really good. I think she must have some military/deployment experience. And, it's hilarious!

Lisa said...

That video is hilarious! I love kittens!

Can't wait to see pictures of Christmas in Italy, it must be beautiful! Have fun at home!

Christy said...

That video is too cute!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Windy City Kelley's said...

That cat is adorable!!!

Random Musings said...

I just got Julie and Julia to watch tomorrow on my day off! I am excited..

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I can't wait to see all the lights! Night at the Museum is really cute! If you liked the first one you'll love the 2nd!

Shoshanah said...

I would imagine having the experience of celebrating the holidays in a different country would be pretty unforgetable. And I'd love to see pictures of it all!

Full of Heart said...

Hey! Your hats (version 2.0) are done! Can you email me your address so I can get them to ya?

J.J. said...

OK....that kitty video is a crack up. Makes me say Awwwwwww!!!!!

Megan said...

I remember our first deployment I tried to read every book that I could find on deployment. I've yet to find one that I really like. I guess I was looking for tips/techniques on how to deal with deployments, and the books just didn't address that. I've found more inspiration in fellow bloggers!

Becca said...

WEEDS! I've watch S1 & 2 and everyday I'm hoping the mail brings me S3 & 4. I'm completely addicted (haha...weeds is addicting.) I also pre-ordered the next season of Big Love!

Our neighborhood has a bunch of lights up everywhere. Personally, I have no idea where they plug them into. All of our outlets are already overloaded!