Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trying Something New

One of my goals this year is to be the healthiest me possible. I decided to tackle that goal today. Why not start early?

So..because several of my friends in the blog world have been eating Paleo (google it if you want a complete explanation that is better than one I'd give you) I decided to give it a try for 30 days.

To be quite honest when I heard about Paleo and what you could eat, I thought people doing it were a little crazy. No dairy? No sugar? No breads or pastas? I LIVE in the land of pasta! I told Sean I could NEVER eat like that, nor would I want to. However, there was a little voice in the back of my head telling me I should at least try and see how I felt at the end of the month.

So..today I headed to the commissary and bought 2 weeks worth of food for Sean and I. Sean isn't following the plan. In fact, he's only eating Paleo for supper.



I'm going to give this next 30 days my best shot and see how I feel. To be honest, I'm not sure I can permanently give up all dairy or pasta, but for now I will.

I'll probably report in from time to time and tell you how I'm doing. Here's hoping I don't gnaw my arm off between now and then!

7 comments:

Sara said...

Glad you're giving it a try. Geeze, crossfit and paleo are everywhere now. When I did it 3 years ago I caught hell from people non stop. Now the books are in the front of B&N.

Jessica of Fine and Fleurie said...

Good for you! We've been Paleo since June and we're loving it! The first hurdle is meal planning, but as long as you have lots of good recipes I'm sure you'll love it too. Check out the Everyday Paleo blog- she posts tons of yummy recipes!

Caitlin said...

Now that I've been forced to go gluten-free, I have become a master in finding gluten-free items in normal grocery stores :) Does "no pasta" mean no gluten-free pasta as well? If it does not - I recommend Tinkyada pasta or Schar pasta. Rob and I can hardly tell the difference. For gluten-free bread, I recommend Udi's, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find that in Italy.


By the way, Italy is considered the most friendly celiac country in the world. 14% of Italians have celiac disease, so they test all infants for it automatically and if you go to a restaurant, and say "celiaco" or say you want food "senza glutine", most of them will be VERY accommodating, or so I have heard. We're planning on honeymooning there for that reason.

Good luck! I have looked into Paleo a bit and it seems pretty interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the no dairy boat right now... but pasta I'm eating (well, just the plain noodles) because I'm so limited on everything else. You'll have to let me know how it goes. I might give it a try since I'm being forced to change my diet right now anyway!

d.a.r. said...

Well, good luck!! It is not something I could ever do, but I really admire you for being willing to try it!! I can't wait to hear how you like it!

Natalie said...

After a month long sweet binge, this sounds like a good plan. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

stefanie said...

A few friends of our are following this diet. I couldn't do it. In fact, I rather run so I can eat what I want. Haha! :) Good luck!