Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Thrifty Finds- Home Decor Edition

Since I've been back in the States, I've been doing more than my share of thrift shopping.  Most of the time that means I'm going to Goodwill at least once a week, but I have found good deals in other places.  And to be fair, I haven't even ventured out to the antique stores that are in town, although I find a lot of the time antique stores are way overpriced when it comes to what they are selling.

In the near future, I plan on doing a post specifically about all the awesome thrifty clothes finds that I've been buying the last few months, but this post is going to cover some of my home decor finds.

First up are these awesome chairs Sean and I scored last weekend. At a flea market of all places!  We were actually looking for an antique market, that apparently has gone out of business and instead randomly ran across this flea market. We got these two chairs for our living room, plus delivery for $85.  We were pretty pleased with our find.

 
 
 
I found this nightstand at Goodwill for $10. I have big plans for it and plan on it going in our guest bedroom. Ideally I'd like to paint it a medium gray, glaze it with black and maybe even change the hardware on it. If I don't change the hardware, I'm either going to paint them more gold or oil rubbed bronze.
 


So far, those have been the two bigger pieces that I've bought, but I'm on the lookout for a telephone chair/gossip bench. Two more nightstands for our bedroom, an entry table, and some coffee tables or end tables for our living room. 

I've found some great little home decor or kitchen pieces at Goodwill too. The best part is they are almost always under $5 and often they are not any more than $2.99.

Check out these awesome little yellow plates.  I can see them being used for tapas plates.

 
 
I also love this brass bowl I picked up.  I'm pretty sure I want to paint it and eventually stick it on an entry table, but at this time I'm unsure of how exactly I want to paint it. So, for now, it's gone in the closet where all my thrift finds/Christmas goodies are.
 
 
I plan on using some of these glasses for Christmas decorations. I'm thinking about putting tea lights in them or using that frosted glass spray on them.  I got about 8 of them for under $3, so to me, that's a great deal. Sean wants to use them for shot glasses, but I put the kibosh on that.
 
 
 
Last, but not least. Check out this awesome hat box I found.  It was $5.99 and although it's missing a handle on the front, it's still in great condition. I plan on using it in a guest bedroom as a display for magazines.
 
 



4 comments:

Kim said...

oh my gosh thrifting is the best! i love that everything can have potential. and you can make it your own! i love your finds!

-kim
found the route

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

What great finds! I always love a good find...and I am alway looking for furniture. I'm trying to find a bench right now.

Love your new layout! I just got a new one yesterday. makes everything seem so fresh!

Anonymous said...

I have never been thrift shopping (shocking, right?) The thought of using someone elses used stuff always kinda grossed me out. But those chairs are super cute.

Veronika Novotny said...

What great finds!! I'm especially loving those fabulous chairs - love scouring second hand stores... I've found some amazing things + it's so fun to re-paint and re-fashion. Hope your weekend is lovely!! xo